St. Charles City Council Designates Historic Home as Landmark, Preventing Demolition
The St. Charles City Council has officially designated the Judge William D. Barry House as a landmark, preventing its demolition. The house, located at 217 Cedar Ave., was previously under threat of being torn down by its owner, Baker Memorial United Methodist Church, which intended to convert the property into parking spaces. The city council's decision follows a series of negotiations and public hearings, where the historical significance of the house was highlighted. Built around 1844 in the Greek Revival style, the house was owned by a prominent lawyer and judge, William D. Barry, who was also the first president of the Kane County Bar Association. The city has agreed to subsidize some restoration costs for a potential buyer, using funds from the downtown tax increment financing district. Local developer Bob Rasmussen, of Geneva Heights LLC, has agreed to purchase and restore the house, with financial assistance from the city.