The Pentagon on Friday fired the editor-in-chief, a publisher, and a reporter of the Stars and Stripes newspaper, according to reports. This comes just
days after the newspaper, which is partially funded by the US' Department of Defence but has long maintained editorial independence, reported on grim conditions for crewmembers aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which provoked criticism against the Trump administration's actions in Iran war and were later denied by Washington. The editor-in-chief has also spoke publicly against any interference by the Defence Department. The Stars and Stripes newspaper has covered the US military since the Civil War. The publication's editor-in-chief Erik Slavin told news agencies that he was being fired for "insubordination" following an interview he gave where he spoke about disagreements with the Department of Defence. Max Lederer, who has served as the publication's publisher since 2007 and had announced his retirement just three days prior, was also notified he was being terminated, according to CBS. The department stated earlier this year it was seeking to steer Stars and Stripes coverage away from "woke distractions." Stars and Stripes reporter Lara Korte said she too was sacked, posting on X: "Today, I was informed that the Department of Defense is firing me for insubordination after I told a CBS reporter that I work for Stars and Stripes -- not the Pentagon, not any administration, and not any policy maker."
USS Abraham Lincoln's Deployment In Iran War, Before Being Replaced
The aircraft carrier, USS Abraham Lincoln, had been deployed since before the Middle East war began on February 28. The ship left its homeport in San Diego in November and arrived in the Middle East in January.
Last weekend, the military announced a new carrier strike group arrived in the region, and Trump said the Lincoln would be swapped out. There were reports of mental health challenges and supply shortages, including food and hygiene products, aboard the warship while it was supporting the Iran war.
According to US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, the condition on the ship was "completely misrepresented." Hegseth spoke with the Lincoln's crew last week, and Adm. Brad Cooper, head of US Central Command.
President Donald Trump also downplayed reports about conditions on the Lincoln. Trump called the nearly nine months at sea that the sailors endured a "good period of time" but added that "over the years, we've had them out there much longer."
Trump told reporters that he spoke with a retired admiral who recounted being on ships for "much longer." Trump said the admiral assured him that the Lincoln is "beautifully maintained and beautifully taken care of." Trump did not name the admiral.
Media Leaders Are Troubled In The US
National Press Club President Mark Schoeff Jr. called the firing of Slavin "another brazen attempt by the Pentagon to dictate coverage of the military" and said it should be immediately reversed.
"Firing a newspaper editor after he publicly defended his newsroom’s editorial independence is deeply troubling, and it should concern every journalist and every member of the US military who depends on independent reporting," Schoeff said.














