Jharkhand student leader Devendra Nath Mahto broke his hunger strike on the intervening night of Monday and Tuesday after Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced
the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all exams conducted by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL). Mahto broke his fast in Ranchi in the presence of Jharkhand ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari. Student leaders Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti also ended their hunger strikes following the government's announcement. The decision came on the 24th day of student protests in Ranchi over alleged irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC). Soren announced the decisions after a special Cabinet meeting on Monday. "Today, the Cabinet decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examinations as well," he said. The government also cancelled all examinations conducted by TDPL, as well as the results published and selections made through those examinations. "After considering all aspects and finding solutions to the issues, we have decided to cancel all examinations conducted by TDPL, the results published by TDPL, and the selection or participation of any candidates through TDPL," Soren added.
He also ordered a comprehensive inquiry into alleged irregularities in examinations conducted since 2014.
Students celebrated at Jaipal Singh Stadium in Ranchi after the government accepted some of their demands.
Mahto thanked the government, students, parents, media and police administration for supporting the movement. "We express our gratitude for taking the students' issues seriously and fulfilling our demands; most importantly, the investigation is being conducted meticulously, and every corrupt individual involved is being apprehended," he told ANI.
But Mahto said the students would continue to press for reforms to prevent paper leaks and other irregularities. "We need a system where the government guarantees that paper leaks and irregularities will never happen again in the future; we need a guarantee of such a system," he said.
He added that the students would support the ongoing investigation and reform process.
"While our demands have been met, we cannot say we are fully satisfied yet, as a long battle still lies ahead," Mahto said.
Another student leader, Piyush Kumar, described the cancellations as only the "first step". "Our demands have not yet been fully met; this is merely the first step and the first celebration--there is more to come," he said.
Students are still demanding a CBI investigation and a decision on the "'11th to 13th' issue", he added. "The struggle will continue; we aren't going anywhere," Kumar said.
Soren said a comprehensive inquiry into alleged irregularities in the JPSC Civil Services examinations would be conducted under the supervision of a retired judge.
The SIT and CID are already investigating the allegations, he said, adding that several "shocking facts" had emerged. "Sometimes it seems that we are right, and at other times, it appears that the students are right. It becomes difficult to distinguish between the two sides," the Chief Minister said.
He said some people appointed through the JPSC had been arrested in connection with alleged examination irregularities.
The CID has also been directed to examine all JPSC examinations conducted from 2014 to the present.
Soren said the government would strengthen examination procedures and introduce further reforms.
A new portal has been launched for students, teachers and parents to submit suggestions, while a committee headed by IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal will work with experts and institutions on reforms.
The protests had entered their 24th day on Monday, with students demanding changes to the examination system and action over alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC examinations.














