A deadly forest shootout in Karnataka's Chamarajanagar district has triggered a political confrontation between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, after three Tamil men
were killed in an alleged exchange of fire with Forest Department personnel in the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary. The Karnataka Forest Department maintains that the three men were suspected poachers who had entered the forest to hunt wildlife and allegedly opened fire at forest personnel. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C Joseph Vijay, however, has rejected the explanation as unacceptable and described the incident as a "massacre", demanding a high-level probe into the deaths. The incident has also triggered protests in Chamarajanagar and Mysuru, with the families and villagers demanding action against the forest officials involved. The Karnataka government, meanwhile, has ordered a magistrate-led inquiry and said compensation would be provided to the victims' families.
What happened in the forest?
The firing took place in the early hours of August 15 in the Shagya range of the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary in Hanur taluk. According to the Forest Department's account, personnel received information about suspected poaching and moved into the area, where they encountered four men.
Officials said the suspected poachers allegedly pointed a gun at the forest personnel, prompting them to open fire. Three men were killed in the exchange, while one person reportedly escaped.
Forest officials said firearms and other material were seized from the scene, along with two bags containing meat, including meat believed to be from wild animals. The Karnataka government has maintained that the circumstances of the firing will be established through the inquiry.
Karnataka's response: Probe ordered, compensation promised
Karnataka Chief Minister DK Shivakumar said he received information about the incident at around 5 am and was subsequently briefed by Forest Department officials.
Shivakumar said an inquiry by a magistrate had been ordered and that the government would wait for the investigation, post-mortem and other reports before deciding on further action. He said officials would place before the inquiry details of the circumstances surrounding the firing, including whether the alleged offenders had fired at forest personnel and whether the officials had acted in self-defence.
He also said compensation would be provided to the families, with the amount yet to be finalised. The Karnataka government has therefore maintained that the facts of the shootout cannot be conclusively established until the inquiry is completed.
Tamil Nadu's response: Vijay calls for high-level probe
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister C Joseph Vijay has taken a sharply different position. Vijay condemned the deaths of Anthony Sami, John Rose Peter and Kumar, identifying them as Tamils residing in villages in Hanur taluk. He rejected the explanation given by the Karnataka Forest Department and called for an "honest investigation" into what he termed a brutal incident.
Vijay demanded the constitution of a high-level investigation committee and said those found responsible should face appropriate punishment. He also urged the Karnataka government to provide assistance to the families of the deceased and take steps to prevent similar incidents.
The controversy spilled onto the streets as villagers and relatives of the three deceased men staged protests in Chamarajanagar and Mysuru.
In Hanur, protesters blocked the road leading to Male Mahadeshwara Betta and demanded action against the Forest Department personnel involved in the firing.
The protesters also demanded that the forest personnel who opened fire be brought before them and questioned. The demonstration was eventually withdrawn after a local MLA assured the families that compensation would be provided.
An FIR has also been registered against forest officials under Section 103(1) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, which deals with punishment for murder, after a complaint was lodged by the wife of one of the deceased.
Karnataka Opposition seeks judicial inquiry
The controversy has also widened within Karnataka. Leader of Opposition R Ashoka has demanded a judicial inquiry, arguing that an investigation involving government officials could fail to establish the truth impartially. He questioned whether the firing was necessary and called for those involved to be relieved of their duties until the inquiry is completed.
Ashoka also questioned the Forest Department's account of the incident, including details about the firearms allegedly possessed by the suspected poachers and the claim that they were carrying wild-animal meat.
(With inputs from PTI)













