Rahul Gandhi on Friday stepped up his attack on the Centre over the alleged use of pellet guns on student protesters during the CJP's recent protest at Jantar
Mantar. Following a visit to the DCP office at Parliament Street along with a protester, Sahil Lochab, who reportedly suffered pellet-gun injuries during the July 20 Jantar Mantar protest, Rahul Gandhi tweeted, asking Union Home Minister Amit Shah, “Why are you so scared of justice?” Rahul wrote, "Today, I went to the DCP office at Parliament Street to file an FIR against the police brutality faced by Sahil Lochab. "On July 20, the police attacked Sahil, who was peacefully protesting at Jantar Mantar, with a pellet gun. Severely injured by the pellets, Sahil's vision in one eye is now at risk.
"Such brutality against a peaceful protest is not just illegal—it's a serious crime. Neither has Home Minister Amit Shah offered any explanation to the students for this cruelty, nor has the Prime Minister apologized to them.
"Now, when Sahil wants to file an FIR for justice, even that is not being allowed. In this way, the Constitution and constitutional rights are being trampled upon," Rahul wrote.
Rahul Gandhi continued, "@AmitShah ji, why are you so scared of justice? This fear shows that you are admitting to your crime. The FIR will be filed. A judicial inquiry will take place. And action will be taken against everyone—from top to bottom—who is guilty of this brutality. We will ensure justice for Sahil, and every student victim like him."
Gandhi, accompanied by Lochab, visited the DCP office at Parliament Street to submit a complaint. After police allegedly declined to register the case, the Congress leader sat on a dharna at Parliament Street Police Station and demanded that the complaint be formally accepted. Later, reports suggested that a complaint had been registered.
Delhi Police Disputes Claims Of Pellet Gun Use
The allegations over pellet use have been disputed by Delhi Police, which has denied firing pellet guns at protesters. However, subsequent reports have added to the controversy. A Parliament Street Police Station general diary entry said two rounds of plastic pellets were fired from an anti-riot gun on the instructions of a DCP-rank officer during the CJP protest.
Lochab, a 19-year-old from southwest Delhi, was among those participating in the CJP's "Sansad Chalo" march over alleged irregularities in the NEET examination. His family said he suffered severe injuries to his right eye and was treated at the AIIMS Trauma Centre. Doctors reportedly warned of a poor chance of recovering his eyesight.
Delhi Police Defends Using Force On Protesters
The controversy has since reached the Supreme Court. Delhi Police recently told the court that it exercised "maximum restraint" and used only minimal force necessary to control what it described as an illegal gathering. The police have also defended the presence of plainclothes personnel during the operation.
The Supreme Court has indicated that a high-powered committee will examine allegations of police misconduct during the Jantar Mantar protests.














