What is the story about?
The number of US service members wounded since the start of the Iran war has surpassed 750, according to the Defense Department’s war casualty database.
The Pentagon updated its casualty database Wednesday, recording more than 50 additional wounded service members as talks between Tehran and Washington remain at an impasse. When totals listed under “Overseas Operations” are combined with figures for Operation Epic Fury, 18 service members have died and 757 have been wounded since the US launched the war against Iran on February 28.
Pentagon Casualty Figures Rise Amid Data Scrutiny
The Defense Department created the “Overseas Operations” category in its casualty database last month for service members killed and wounded “starting July 7.” The Pentagon has not provided additional details or specified the conflict connected to those casualties. The date corresponds with the day the Trump administration told Congress that a new conflict with Iran had begun in a War Powers Act notification.
The latest figures come weeks after the Pentagon faced scrutiny after killed and wounded numbers in the database decreased while Iranian attacks continued. Four deaths and dozens of injuries disappeared from the totals last month before being restored.
The Defense Department said at the time that the decreases were caused by “temporary data disruptions.”
The Pentagon has also faced criticism over its handling of wounded troops, with officials pointing to security needs for delays in disclosing casualties.
President Donald Trump said Wednesday that the situation with Iran is “so good” right now. His comments came as he paused US negotiations with Tehran and the Strait of Hormuz remained a key point of tension in the ongoing war. Iran has continued to attack ships attempting to use the Strait of Hormuz. However, recent traffic data show an uptick in traffic through Hormuz, with a "covert" US operation helping move oil barrels.














