Karnataka Chief Minister DK Shivakumar on Thursday revived the state's pitch for the Mekedatu project at the Southern Zonal Council (SZC) meeting, arguing
that the proposed Cauvery reservoir would benefit not only Karnataka but also farmers in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry. Speaking at the 31st meeting of the Southern Zonal Council, chaired by Union Home Minister Amit Shah in Kovalam, Tamil Nadu, Shivakumar raised the issue, saying, “The Mekedatu project is an important project not only for Karnataka, but for Tamil Nadu as well,” Shivakumar said, adding, “Every drop of water from the Mekedatu project will help farmers in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry. Help us help you.” Tamil Nadu CM Vijay, however, set a few conditions in response, saying, "The legitimate rights of lower riparian States and the livelihoods that depend on assured river flows must be fully protected. The judgments of the Supreme Court, the awards of duly constituted tribunals, and the statutory mechanisms established for river management must be implemented in letter and spirit." The meeting brought together the southern states and Union Territories to discuss inter-state issues, including water-sharing disputes.
Long-Standing Cauvery Row
The intervention comes at a sensitive point in the long-running Cauvery dispute between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. The Supreme Court on August 17 directed Karnataka to comply with directions of the Cauvery Water Management Authority on releasing water to Tamil Nadu, while the court has also recently examined questions over the quantity of water being received by the lower-riparian state.
Mekedatu, a proposed balancing reservoir and drinking-water project on the Cauvery in Karnataka, has remained a major point of contention between the two states.
Tamil Nadu has opposed the project, arguing that it could affect its share of Cauvery waters. Karnataka, meanwhile, has maintained that the project is intended to meet Bengaluru's drinking-water requirements and regulate water flows.
The project's regulatory status has also been under scrutiny. In a July 2026 response in the Rajya Sabha, the Centre said Karnataka's Detailed Project Report submitted in 2019 had been returned to the project authority, seeking a revised DPR in compliance with the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal award and Central Water Commission guidelines.
The Supreme Court had earlier dealt with Tamil Nadu's challenge to the Central Water Commission's 2018 permission for preparation of the Mekedatu DPR, while reiterating the broader legal framework governing the Cauvery dispute.














