Falta Repolling: West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on Tuesday took a dig at TMC leader Jahangir Khan after the latter announced his withdrawal ahead of repolling in the Falta constituency, saying
that Khan “ran away” from the May 21 re-election as he would not get any polling agents.
While campaigning in Falta in South 24 Parganas district ahead of the May 21 re-election, the Chief Minister claimed that TMC leader had no option but to withdraw from the contest.
“He had no other way, as he would not get a polling agent, so he decided to run away,” Adhikari said as quoted by news agency PTI.
VIDEO | Falta, West Bengal: West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari on TMC candidate Jahangir Khan withdrawing from the May 21 re-election in Falta, says, “He had no other way, as he would not get a polling agent, so he decided to run away.”
TMC candidate Jahangir Khan… pic.twitter.com/S1Dy5sBhi4— Press Trust of India (@PTI_News) May 19, 2026
Jahangir Khan Withdraws From Falta Repoll
Adhikari’s remarks came hours after the TMC leader announced to withdraw his candidature from the Falta Assembly constituency ahead of the re-poll scheduled on May 21.
“My dream was to see this place prosper. New CM Suvendu Adhikari is rolling out new packages for Falta. Seeing this, I am withdrawing my candidature from the upcoming repoll,” Khan said while addressing a press conference.
VIDEO | South 24 Parganas: Addressing a press conference, TMC leader Jahangir Khan said,
“I am the son of Falta and I want Falta to be at peace and grow. Our CM Suvendu Adhikari is giving a special package for the development of Falta, which is why I am separating myself from… pic.twitter.com/R95Lw7DpHo
— Press Trust of India (@PTI_News) May 19, 2026
Meanwhile, the TMC said that Khan’s withdrawal was his “personal decision” and not the party’s stand.
In a statement on X, the party alleged that more than 100 TMC workers had been arrested in Falta since the election results were declared earlier this month.
The party also accused the BJP of intimidation and claimed several party offices were vandalised or forcibly occupied.
“Even in the face of such pressure, our workers remain rock-solid and continue to resist the BJP’s intimidation,” the party said.
Falta Repoll
The Election Commission ordered a complete re-poll in the Falta Assembly constituency after declaring the April 29, election void over serious allegations of electoral malpractice and “subversion of the democratic process”.
The Commission directed fresh voting in all 285 polling booths in the constituency under Section 58(2) of the Representation of the People Act, 1951. The decision came after allegations of major irregularities, including tampering with EVM buttons and disruptions during polling, which the Commission said had vitiated the electoral process.
The fresh poll has been scheduled for May 21. Counting of votes for Falta will take place separately on May 24.
(With inputs from agencies)













