The Centre on Wednesday held a high-level meeting to assess India’s preparedness against Ebola virus disease, while confirming that no case has been detected in the country so far.
The review meeting, chaired
by Union Health Secretary Punya Salila Srivastava, was attended by health secretaries from all states and Union territories to evaluate surveillance systems and emergency response measures.
Officials said the government has strengthened monitoring and preparedness protocols following the World Health Organization’s declaration of Ebola as a public health emergency of international concern.
Detailed standard operating procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine protocols, case management, referral mechanisms, and laboratory testing have already been shared with all states and Union territories.
Srivastava emphasized the importance of coordinated surveillance, timely reporting, and preparedness of designated health facilities, the sources said.
All ministries and departments concerned have also been sensitised and are undertaking appropriate preventive and surveillance measures in coordination with the health ministry, they stated.
India has prior experience in handling such situations effectively, including during the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa, when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully, they said.
The government of India remains fully vigilant and IS prepared to respond swiftly to any emerging situation, the sources said.
Citizens are advised that there is no cause for panic, while continuing to follow official advisories and updates issued by health authorities, the sources underlined.
(With inputs from PTI)















