The Tamil Nadu government on Wednesday withdrew its directive calling for coordinated action to stop students and youth from joining protests organised by Left parties and the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP),
following widespread criticism over the move, according to an official communication.
The Department of Collegiate Education on Wednesday withdrew its earlier directive seeking coordinated action to prevent students of government arts and science colleges, as well as youth, from participating in protests and agitations.
In an order issued on Tuesday, Joint Director of Collegiate Education Cynthia Selvi P said that the earlier communication issued by the department on August 17, 2026, regarding the matter had been withdrawn. The order was issued to the principals of all Government Arts and Science Colleges in Tamil Nadu.
TVK Bars Students From Participating In Protests
In a letter dated August 17, the Commissioner of Collegiate Education asked principals of government arts and science colleges to work with the School Education and Higher Education departments, police and district administration to ensure that male and female students, as well as youth, do not participate in such protests.
The directive refers to a government letter dated August 14, which called for inter-departmental coordination and joint action on the matter.
The communication, marked “Most Urgent”, also directs colleges to immediately submit details of the action taken to the Directorate of Collegiate Education.
Also Read: ‘No Excessive, Illegal Force’: Delhi Police Says Crowd Turned Violent, Breached Barricades At CJP Protests
According to sources, the TVK government has asked the School Education Department, Higher Education Department, police and district administrations to take coordinated action to prevent student participation.
The order has been issued amid heightened political activity and follows the government’s stated concern over student and youth participation in protests organised by the two political groups.
BJP Reacts To Tamil Nadu Govt’s Order
The directive drew a sharp response from BJP leaders. BJP leader Vinoj P Selvam described the Leftist outfits and CJP as “Agents of Chaos”, alleging that their leaders mislead students and leave them to face the consequences while returning to their own homes.
He welcomed the Vijay government’s move, saying it would help students avoid being drawn into protests and instead focus on their careers. He also urged the government not to withdraw the notification under pressure from its ally, the CPI(M).
Meanwhile, BJP leader Radhika Khera attacked the Tamil Nadu government over the directive, describing it as a “diktat” to colleges, police and district administration to prevent students and youth from joining CJP and Leftist rallies.
Drawing a comparison with the Congress’ protests over student participation at Delhi University, Khera questioned where Rahul Gandhi and his party leaders were following the Tamil Nadu government’s order.
All About CJP-NEET Protests
The order comes a week after a series of student demonstrations over alleged NEET and other examination paper leaks. In Delhi, the protests included a hunger strike and a subsequent march towards Parliament organised by the Cockroach Janata Party (CJP).
Also Read: CJP Seeks BCI Chairman’s Resignation Amid NALSAR Row: ‘Moral Responsibility’
On July 20, thousands of students joined the Parliament march, among other demands seeking the resignation of Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and changes to the examination system.
The situation escalated when protesters attempted to move past police barricades in central Delhi. Police used tear gas and lathis to disperse the crowd. Footage that later emerged on social media showed police personnel allegedly manhandling some protesters, prompting accusations of excessive force.
The Delhi Police has defended the operation, saying officers resorted to force after some protesters allegedly became violent and pelted security personnel with stones.
The protest ended after Pradhan resigned from his position and the government assured the protesters that it would provide compensation to the families of students who died by suicide, withdraw cases against protesters and consider their demands for examination reforms.














