The US Embassy in India has issued an important reminder for parents and guardians applying for US visas for minors, stating that children of all ages must appear in person for their consular interview.
The requirement applies to every minor applicant, from newborn babies to those who are almost 18 years old.
In a post shared as part of its ‘Visa Friday’ series, the US Embassy said that the visa officer must see every applicant during the interview process, regardless of their age.
Minors Must Appear In Person
“Whether you have a newborn or a young adult who is 17 years old, all minors must appear in person at the interview window,” the Embassy said.
The Embassy further stressed that the consular interview is a crucial part of the US visa application process.
“In fact, the consular interview is one of the most consequential parts of the visa application process. Keeping America’s borders secure is of utmost importance,” it said.
Explaining why the interview is required, the Embassy said the process helps authorities assess people seeking to travel to the United States.
“The visa interview helps us vet each potential traveller,” the Embassy said.
It added that the US Department of State is committed to protecting the country and its citizens “by upholding the highest standards of national security and public safety through its visa process.”
The Embassy concluded its video reminder by saying, “So remember, no matter your age, if you are applying for a visa, you must come in for a consular interview.”
Reminder Comes Amid US Birth Tourism Crackdown
The reminder comes amid a wider US government crackdown on what it describes as “birth tourism” and alleged abuse of the US visa system.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio recently announced that more than 600 visas of foreign nationals had been revoked in one month as part of the campaign.
The State Department has established a Birth Tourism Prevention Task Force to review visa-holder activity, identify and dismantle illegal birth tourism networks and address what it calls abuse of US laws.
“In just one month, the Birth Tourism Prevention Task Force has taken action to revoke more than 600 visas from foreign nationals across the globe and will continue to safeguard our nation from this abuse,” Rubio said on X.
The crackdown follows an August 6 executive order issued by US President Donald Trump.
“American citizenship is not for sale,” Rubio said.
Rubio also alleged that “elaborate birth tourism rings” were exploiting US laws by coaching foreign nationals to defraud the visa system, arranging travel and accommodation and even forging documents to help foreign nationals obtain citizenship for their children.
“The State Department will use all available tools to dismantle birth tourism networks and defend the integrity of US citizenship,” Rubio said.
According to the State Department, the task force is analysing and connecting information held across the Department and other federal agencies, including the Department of Homeland Security.
The department has also said that visas are generally revoked when there are indications of potential ineligibility and that the Secretary of State has broad discretionary authority to revoke visas.
For Indian parents applying for a US visa for their children, the latest Embassy reminder therefore makes one point clear: the minor applicant must be physically present for the consular interview, regardless of whether the child is a newborn or a 17-year-old.














