The United States and Israel are reportedly making preparations to resume military operations against Iran as early as this week, according to a report by the New York Times on Monday.
The officials, who
spoke on condition of anonymity, said both countries are engaged in what they called as the “most extensive operational planning” since a fragile ceasefire was reached last month. The preparations, they said, point to the possibility of renewed strikes within days, although no final decision has been confirmed publicly.
The report comes amid stalled diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran to end months of conflict that erupted after US and Israeli strikes in late February, with negotiations repeatedly breaking down over issues including Iran’s nuclear programme and sanctions relief.
Possible Options US & Israel Have?
According to analysts cited in the NYT report, Washington faces difficult military and political choices. While airstrikes remain an option, experts warn they may not be sufficient to compel Iran to accept US demands.
Another possible scenario reportedly under consideration involves special forces operations targeting Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium, though such a move would carry significant operational risks and potential domestic backlash.
“The two countries could launch a special forces operation to try to seize Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium… But such a raid could risk the lives of American soldiers, further straining domestic U.S. support for an unpopular war,” the report stated.
The developments also came a day after the latest warnings from US President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly demanded Iran to reach a deal quickly or face severe consequences. In a post on Truth Social Sunday, Trump said Iran had to move fast “or there won’t be anything left,” adding that “the clock is ticking.”
CNN has also reported that Trump met with senior national security officials over the weekend to review military options, including potential strikes on energy and infrastructure targets in Iran. US Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, CIA Director John Ratcliffe and special envoy Steve Witkoff all attended the high-stakes gathering.
Officials familiar with the discussions said the Pentagon has prepared updated contingency plans should the president decide to escalate operations.














