Cricket Australia selector Tony Dodemaide has said that had the Indian Premier League been scheduled before the T20 World Cup, the famed duo of Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood would have missed IPL 2026
to play the marquee event. Still, since it was the other way round, they missed the T20 World Cup and might be fit for the cash-rich league.
Supporters of Australia could be left frustrated if Hazlewood and Cummins return to full fitness in time for IPL 2026, having missed the team’s disappointing campaign at the T20 World Cup.
But selectors have taken a practical view, insisting the situation came down to timing rather than preference.
A comprehensive review will be held into Australia’s group-stage exit once the team returns home. The absence of Hazlewood and Cummins proved a significant blow on the eve of the tournament.
Hazlewood, who had added a sharp edge to the attack as the team took shape last year, continues to battle Achilles and calf problems, compounding concerns after a hamstring injury sustained three months ago.
Meanwhile, Cummins hasn’t featured in a game since his solitary outing in the third Ashes Test in mid-December, where he impressed with six wickets across 34 overs in two innings to seal a 3-0 series sweep for Australia.
Cummins was rested to safeguard his back from lumbar stress ahead of the T20 World Cup, but was withdrawn from the initial team.
“It is what it is. It is a timing issue. If it were in reverse, the IPL was first and the World Cup was second, then they would be missing the IPL to play in the World Cup,” Dodemaide told the media on Wednesday.
“It isn’t going to be frustrating for us at all. We know their commitment to want to play and succeed for Australia,” Dodemaide added.














