Jharkhand students on Tuesday called off their planned gherao of Chief Minister Hemant Soren’s residence on August 20, days after the state government announced the cancellation of recruitment examinations
conducted by an outsourced agency since 2014.
The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which has been spearheading the agitation over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations, had announced plans to gherao the chief minister’s residence and appealed to students from across the state to assemble in Ranchi.
The decision to call off the protest comes after the state government cancelled the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and all recruitment tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) since 2014.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren had announced the decision after chairing a marathon cabinet meeting at the state secretariat on Monday.
“The government has decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) exam, which was one of the major demands of the protesting students. We have also decided to cancel all tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) and the results published by it,” Soren told reporters.
The government has also constituted an exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal to recommend measures to strengthen the recruitment examination process.
The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch has been holding the protest at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium since July 25, demanding action over alleged irregularities in various recruitment examinations.
The protesters had also sought a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities and the resignation of the chief minister, while accusing the ruling JMM-Congress alliance of failing to take concrete action on their demands.
Three of the six protesters who had been on hunger strike also ended their fast following the announcement.
JLKM leader Devendra Mahto, who had been on hunger strike for 16 days, called off his fast around Monday midnight. Prem Nayak and Umme Habiba also ended their hunger strike, according to a member of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch.
Government Cites Exam Probe
Soren had said the government was concerned about the agitation and pointed to the Jharkhand Competitive Examination Prevention and Redressal of Unfair Means in Recruitment Act, which he said would be implemented strictly.
Meanwhile, the CID continued its investigation into the alleged irregularities.
Cancellation Triggers Counter-Protest
The government’s decision to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination has also triggered a counter-protest by candidates who had cleared the examination and secured government jobs.
A group of successful candidates gathered outside the state secretariat on Tuesday and appealed to Soren not to cancel the examination, claiming that the move would leave around 2,000 people jobless.
The opposition BJP has backed the protesting students’ demand for a CBI probe.
Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi urged Soren to accept the students’ demands and questioned why the government should fear a CBI probe if it was confident about the recruitment process.














