The Tamil Nadu government has approached the Supreme Court seeking to quash guidelines issued by the Union Jal Shakti ministry for assessing water-resource projects in the Cauvery basin, alleging that
they were framed unilaterally to facilitate the processing of Karnataka’s Mekedatu project.
Water Resources Minister N Anand said in a policy note tabled in the state Assembly that Tamil Nadu had “strongly and consistently” opposed the guidelines through a series of letters.
However, the Union Jal Shakti ministry repeatedly cited a Supreme Court order passed last year while stating that the Mekedatu project would be considered.
“In particular, in its letter dated May 7, 2026, the Jal Shakti ministry stated that the Central Water Commission had already communicated its comments to Karnataka on the detailed project report of the Mekedatu project and that further appraisal would be carried out in compliance with the guidelines,” Anand said.
Tamil Nadu Challenges Guidelines
Anand said Tamil Nadu examined the implications of the guidelines after the Centre and Karnataka renewed efforts to pursue the Mekedatu project following the Supreme Court’s dismissal of the state’s petitions against it.
The state government consulted legal experts and considered all available legal options, he said. Based on their advice, Tamil Nadu approached the Centre in May seeking the constitution of a tribunal.
In its Supreme Court petition, Tamil Nadu argued that considering new projects under the guidelines would be legally untenable and could trigger further disputes between the states over the Cauvery issue, which dates back to the early 1970s and culminated in the Supreme Court’s 2018 judgment.
“The impugned guidelines are contrary to the statutory scheme notified under Inter State River Water Disputes Act, 1956, as it seeks to expand the powers and duties of the Cauvery water management authority, which clearly goes beyond the judgment of the Supreme Court,” the state said.
State Vows To Oppose Mekedatu Ddam
Tamil Nadu has maintained that the guidelines could pave the way for further consideration of Karnataka’s proposed Mekedatu dam across the Cauvery.
Anand said the state government remained firmly committed to protecting the rights and interests of Tamil Nadu’s people. He said the government was pursuing all necessary measures, including legal action, to prevent Karnataka from constructing a dam at Mekedatu or any other location in the Cauvery basin.
The Mekedatu project has long been a source of tension between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, with Tamil Nadu opposing Karnataka’s plans to construct a balancing reservoir across the Cauvery.













