A large-scale demolition and anti-encroachment drive began on Tuesday morning at Garib Nagar near Bandra East railway station in Mumbai, days after the Bombay High Court permitted Western Railway to clear
alleged illegal structures built on railway land.
The operation, expected to continue till May 23, has led to heavy deployment of police and railway security personnel in the area amid tension and protests from residents.
Visuals circulating on X showed bulldozers moving into narrow lanes of the densely populated settlement as teams from Western Railway, civic authorities and security agencies began tearing down structures marked for demolition.
#WATCH | Mumbai: Western Railway conducts an anti-encroachment drive in Garib Nagar, Bandra (East).
This drive is being carried out in coordination with the civic administration, police officials, and railway security agencies to ensure that law and order are maintained pic.twitter.com/yHCEB0Ivz3
— ANI (@ANI) May 19, 2026
Several videos also showed residents gathering around barricaded stretches, while police personnel formed human chains and maintained tight security around the demolition site to prevent clashes or obstruction.
#WATCH | Mumbai: Western Railway conducts an anti-encroachment drive in Garib Nagar, Bandra (East).
This drive is being carried out in coordination with the civic administration, police officials, and railway security agencies to ensure that law and order are maintained pic.twitter.com/kGHEj9utey
— ANI (@ANI) May 19, 2026
According to news agency ANI, Western Railway said the anti-encroachment drive is being conducted in coordination with the civic administration, Mumbai Police, Railway Protection Force (RPF), and Government Railway Police (GRP) to ensure law and order is maintained throughout the operation.
Officials said around 400 personnel were deployed in and around Garib Nagar for the drive.
Emergency response systems, including ambulances, fire brigade teams and barricading units, were also stationed at strategic locations amid fears of crowd mobilisation or unrest.
The demolition follows an April 29 order of the Bombay High Court, which allowed Western Railway to proceed with the removal of unauthorised structures in the area.
However, the court also directed authorities to ensure the protection of the rights of slum dwellers declared eligible for rehabilitation under surveys conducted in August 2021.
The clearance operation is linked to Western Railway’s long-pending project to expand the fifth and sixth railway lines between Santacruz and Mumbai Central.
Railway officials have maintained that the expansion is necessary to reduce congestion on Mumbai’s suburban railway network and improve train movement on one of the busiest corridors in the country.
The High Court had observed that encroachments and waste accumulation near railway tracks posed a serious threat to railway infrastructure and commuter safety.
The issue has remained contentious over the past several months.
Residents of Garib Nagar under Sangh Society had earlier alleged that despite an interim Bombay High Court order passed on March 18 restraining demolition of certain structures mentioned in petitions, some homes belonging to eligible Project Affected Persons (PAPs) were still demolished.
Meanwhile, the demolition drive has also sparked political reactions.
Reacting to the operation, BJP leader Kirit Somaiya launched a sharp attack on opposition parties.
Speaking on the anti-encroachment drive, Somaiya said, “The Uddhav Thackeray faction of the Shiv Sena, along with Rahul Gandhi (Congress), the AIMIM, and the Muslim League, all of whom subscribe to the concepts of ‘Land Jihad,’ ‘Vote Jihad,’ and ‘Love Jihad,’ have been taught a lesson.”
As the demolition continues over the next few days, security agencies remain on high alert in Bandra East, with authorities closely monitoring the situation to avoid any escalation in the sensitive locality.










