The flood situation in Assam showed signs of improvement on Monday, but one more death pushed the toll from this year’s floods to 105, while more than 32,000 people remained affected across four districts,
officials said.
According to the Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA), a person drowned in floodwaters in Sivasagar district. The latest bulletin said 31,900 people were still impacted across Golaghat, Jorhat, Nagaon and Sivasagar.
Nagaon remained the worst-affected district, with nearly 20,000 people facing the impact of the floods. Jorhat has more than 5,000 affected people, while the figure in Sivasagar is over 4,500.
The situation has improved from Sunday, when nearly 52,000 people across five districts were affected. The administration is currently running 15 relief camps and distribution centres in the four affected districts, providing assistance to 2,782 people.
The ASDMA said 147 villages remain inundated, while 3,198.77 hectares of cropland have suffered damage. Floodwaters have also damaged embankments, roads, bridges and other infrastructure in several parts of the state.
The flooding has affected 16,323 domestic animals and poultry, according to the disaster management authority.
Assam CM Releases Interim Flood Assistance
Meanwhile, Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Monday released Rs 47.93 crore in interim flood assistance through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) to 31,951 affected families in Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat and Golaghat. Each eligible family received Rs 15,000.
Also Read: Assam Floods: Death Toll Rises To 103, Over 86,800 Affected; Congress Seeks ‘National Problem’ Status
The latest disbursement included 22,657 families in Sivasagar, 6,028 in Charaideo, 2,324 in Jorhat and 942 in Golaghat.
With this release, the state government said it has provided Rs 146.26 crore to 96,842 flood-affected families. An earlier tranche of Rs 97.34 crore had been transferred on August 4 to 64,891 families across the four districts.
Speaking at the programme in Guwahati, Sarma said the government was continuing efforts to help affected families return to normal life.
“With today’s disbursement, the process of providing interim relief is almost complete,” he said, while noting that verification of records for nearly 3,000 families in Sivasagar was still underway.
Govt Begins Damage Assessment
The government has also begun a detailed damage assessment, with 1,144 teachers deployed for survey work. So far, the assessment has recorded 2,681 completely damaged houses, 18,887 cattle sheds, nearly 41,000 handloom assets and more than 5.98 lakh livestock affected across the four districts.
Crop damage involving 99,256 farmers has also been reported, Sarma said, adding that the survey is expected to conclude by the end of August.
A second round of verification will be conducted from early September until September 10-11 to address objections and grievances, with the final damage list expected by September 15.
Sarma said the government plans to transfer further assistance directly to eligible families by November based on the survey findings. Damage reports worth around Rs 480 crore have been received so far.
PMAY For Flood Victims
The state will also facilitate house construction for eligible flood victims under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), while repairs have been initiated at damaged schools, Anganwadi centres, Namghars and other public institutions.
Families of those killed in the floods are being provided Rs 9 lakh as compensation. Separately, 1,712 affected people have availed relief measures related to repayment of bank loan instalments, with applications open until August 31.
As many as 1,598 insurance claims have been filed by flood-affected residents, of which 170 have been settled, the chief minister said.














