Iran’s top security council has officially announced the formation of a new body to manage the vital Strait of Hormuz, which Tehran has effectively closed amid tensions with the United States and has demanded
that ships pay tolls for transit.
After launching the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) on May 6, Iran’s Supreme National Security Council on Monday announced that it would provide “real‑time updates on the #Hormuz_Strait operations and latest developments.”
In the Name of God
The official X account of the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (#PGSA) is now live.
Follow us for real‑time updates on the #Hormuz_Strait operations and latest developments.— PGSA | نهاد مدیریت آبراهه تنگه هرمز (@PGSA_IRAN) May 18, 2026
The announcement came after Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian parliament’s national security commission, said Iran “has prepared a professional mechanism to manage traffic” through the strait.
It was not immediately clear what the new body would do, but an Iranian broadcaster had earlier said it constituted a “system to exercise sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz” and that ships passing through the strait were sent “regulations” via email.
Iran has largely blocked shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, which carries 20% of the world’s energy supplies, since the US-Israeli strikes on February 28. Iran’s grip over the waterway has rattled global markets and given Tehran significant leverage in the conflict, while the US has imposed its own naval blockade on Iranian ports.
FOLLOW US-IRAN WAR LIVE UPDATES HERE
Iran Responds To US Peace Proposal
Meanwhile, Iran on Monday said it has responded to a new US proposal aimed at ending the war, saying exchanges continued despite the Iranian media describing Washington’s demands as excessive.
Iran’s Fars news agency on Sunday said the US had presented a five-point list, which included a demand for Iran to keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States. However, Washington refused to release “even 25%” of Iran’s frozen assets or pay any reparations for war damage.
ALSO READ: US Strikes Soon? Trump Shares West Asia Map With ‘Red Arrows’ Pointing At Iran
During a press briefing on Monday, Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei said, “As we announced yesterday, our concerns were conveyed to the American side.” He said exchanges continued through Pakistani mediation, and defended Iran’s demands including the removal of long-standing sanctions.
“The points raised are Iranian demands that have been firmly defended by the Iranian negotiating team in every round of negotiations,” he said. He also described the conflict as “illegal and baseless” and reiterated Iran’s demand for the US to pay reparations.
This comes in the backdrop of Trump mulling fresh strikes on Iran, even as he recently concluded his visit to Beijing. On Sunday, Trump posted a message on Truth Social, saying, “For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!”
However, Baqaei said Iran was “fully prepared for any eventuality”.
(with inputs from AFP)














