US President Donald Trump on Monday warned Oman against getting in the way of talks involving Iran over the Strait of Hormuz, saying the United States would “bomb the s*** out of them” if Muscat interferes.
Speaking to Fox News’ Trey Yingst, Trump also confirmed that there is a backchannel with Iranian Revolutionary Guard officials, while saying he was in “no hurry” over the ongoing negotiations.
Yingst said he had asked Trump about parallel talks between Iran and Oman concerning control of the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial waterway through which a major share of the world’s oil trade passes.
Iran said Monday it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz, which runs between the two countries, and the sides are now working to finalize details for a joint statement.
Iranian Foreign Affairs spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that “an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route.”
He did not elaborate, but details that have previously emerged suggest the deal would reopen the strait with ships entering through a route close to Iran and exiting through a route close to Oman. Ships would transit without paying fees or tolls during the interim period.
Trump responded with the warning to Oman.
“If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the s*** out of them,” Trump told Fox News.
Trump Confirms Iran Backchannel
Trump’s remarks also shed light on a separate channel of communication with Iran.
The US president confirmed the existence of a backchannel involving officials of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, while indicating that he was not under immediate pressure to reach an agreement.
Trump said he was in “no hurry”, as diplomatic efforts continue amid the standoff over the Strait of Hormuz.














