What is the story about?
Israel has defended its recent airstrike on a Syrian military base, telling the Trump administration that the operation was intended to prevent Turkey from building up its military presence in northern Syria.
The strike has added another layer of tension between three countries that are all important partners of Washington — Israel, Turkey and the new Syrian government.
It also comes at a sensitive time for US President Donald Trump, who has sought to improve ties with Syrian leader Ahmed al-Sharaa and maintains a close relationship with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
According to an Axios report, the latest Israeli operation has frustrated senior White House officials.
The attack took place early Tuesday at the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northern Syria, around 45 miles from the Turkish border. At least eight bombs struck runways and several hangars at the facility.
The strikes damaged recently rebuilt runways but caused no reported casualties. Israel initially did not acknowledge responsibility, and an Israeli military censor barred reports confirming that the Israel Defense Forces had carried out the operation.
The Israeli involvement was later disclosed by US Ambassador to Turkey and Syria envoy Tom Barrack, who said the Trump administration was "deeply concerned" and described the strike as an "unnecessary escalation" that would not help regional stability.
Syria and Turkey also condemned the attack.
Israel later acknowledged responsibility and said it had acted because Syria was allegedly preparing to allow Turkish troops to deploy at the airbase.
Netanyahu's office said Israel had repeatedly warned Syria that such a move would threaten Israeli security. It argued that Damascus had ignored those warnings and that Israel would not accept developments that could create a military threat.
However, according to the report, a source familiar with the matter said the Syrian government had already explained to Israel why it was rebuilding the base. Damascus reportedly insisted that it had no hostile intentions.
Israeli officials also told Washington before the attack that the operation was aimed at stopping Turkey from sending advanced weapons systems to the facility and preventing a larger Turkish military buildup there.
A Turkish official, cited in the report, rejected the Israeli justification, saying there were no Turkish forces at the base and accusing Israel of using pretexts to attack neighbouring countries.
The strike has also raised questions inside the Trump administration over Israel's broader intentions in Syria.
Some US officials believe domestic Israeli politics, including the country's upcoming October election, may have played a role in the decision.
Washington says the Syrian government has not taken hostile action against Israel and has instead spent months seeking a new security arrangement to reduce tensions along the border.
US officials said Syria had also pushed for a joint coordination centre in Jordan involving the US and Israel to manage incidents and prevent escalation. According to one US official, Israel declined to activate the mechanism while continuing military incursions into southern Syria.
The Trump administration has urged Damascus to exercise restraint, while suggesting that the situation could become easier to manage after Israel's election.
The strike has added another layer of tension between three countries that are all important partners of Washington — Israel, Turkey and the new Syrian government.
It also comes at a sensitive time for US President Donald Trump, who has sought to improve ties with Syrian leader Ahmed al-Sharaa and maintains a close relationship with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.
According to an Axios report, the latest Israeli operation has frustrated senior White House officials.
Israel strikes Syrian airbase
The attack took place early Tuesday at the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northern Syria, around 45 miles from the Turkish border. At least eight bombs struck runways and several hangars at the facility.
The strikes damaged recently rebuilt runways but caused no reported casualties. Israel initially did not acknowledge responsibility, and an Israeli military censor barred reports confirming that the Israel Defense Forces had carried out the operation.
The Israeli involvement was later disclosed by US Ambassador to Turkey and Syria envoy Tom Barrack, who said the Trump administration was "deeply concerned" and described the strike as an "unnecessary escalation" that would not help regional stability.
We are deeply concerned that the confirmed Israeli airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Airbase constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability.
The Al-Sharra government has neither adopted a predatory posture nor maintained proxy forces. It has, in fact,…
— Ambassador Tom Barrack (@USAMBTurkiye) August 18, 2026
Syria and Turkey also condemned the attack.
Israel says Turkey's military buildup was the target
Israel later acknowledged responsibility and said it had acted because Syria was allegedly preparing to allow Turkish troops to deploy at the airbase.
The Prime Minister's Office:
Israel and Syria agreed to a status quo in security matters, which Syria was on the verge of breaching by permitting Turkish troops to deploy at an airbase near Aleppo.
Israel repeatedly warned Syria that such a deployment would pose a threat to…
— Prime Minister of Israel (@IsraeliPM) August 18, 2026
Netanyahu's office said Israel had repeatedly warned Syria that such a move would threaten Israeli security. It argued that Damascus had ignored those warnings and that Israel would not accept developments that could create a military threat.
However, according to the report, a source familiar with the matter said the Syrian government had already explained to Israel why it was rebuilding the base. Damascus reportedly insisted that it had no hostile intentions.
Israeli officials also told Washington before the attack that the operation was aimed at stopping Turkey from sending advanced weapons systems to the facility and preventing a larger Turkish military buildup there.
A Turkish official, cited in the report, rejected the Israeli justification, saying there were no Turkish forces at the base and accusing Israel of using pretexts to attack neighbouring countries.
US officials question Israel's motives
The strike has also raised questions inside the Trump administration over Israel's broader intentions in Syria.
Some US officials believe domestic Israeli politics, including the country's upcoming October election, may have played a role in the decision.
Washington says the Syrian government has not taken hostile action against Israel and has instead spent months seeking a new security arrangement to reduce tensions along the border.
US officials said Syria had also pushed for a joint coordination centre in Jordan involving the US and Israel to manage incidents and prevent escalation. According to one US official, Israel declined to activate the mechanism while continuing military incursions into southern Syria.
The Trump administration has urged Damascus to exercise restraint, while suggesting that the situation could become easier to manage after Israel's election.














