New Delhi: The Jharkhand government has invited protesting job aspirants for another round of talks over alleged irregularities in state recruitment examinations.
The meeting will be held on Monday, August 17, as the protest enters its 23rd day in Ranchi.
The JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, which is leading the agitation, had announced on Saturday that it would gherao Chief Minister Hemant Soren’s residence on August 20 and demand his resignation.
Manch leader Ravindra Paswan said the protesters would attend the meeting but would not compromise on their main demands. “We will definitely go for the talks as we want to resolve the issue through dialogue. But, we are firm on two demands, a CBI probe into irregularities in recruitment tests and cancellation of the JSSC-CGL (Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combine Graduate Level) exams,” Paswan said.
Students invited for 7th round of talks
The invitation for the seventh round of discussions came after Ranchi’s sub-divisional officer and additional district magistrate, law and order, met protesting students at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium.
According to a statement from the Ranchi district administration, the students have been invited for talks at 2 pm on August 17. They can also attend the meeting with their legal advisors.
Meanwhile, protesters burnt effigies of Chief Minister Hemant Soren, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav at Albert Ekka Chowk on Sunday. The protesters alleged that their demands had been ignored.
Anger over treatment of fasting student leader
The protesters also raised concerns over the treatment of fasting student leader Devendra Nath Mahto on August 15. They alleged that police stopped him from leaving Sadar Hospital to take part in an Independence Day Tiranga Yatra. The incident led four more people to join the indefinite hunger strike.
Ranchi Deputy Commissioner Manju Nath Bhajantri defended the administration’s action, stating, “Hospital administration refused to grant him permission due to his critical health condition and physical weakness.”
State Congress media in-charge Rakesh Sinha said the party’s state unit will hold a meeting on August 18 to discuss reforms in recruitment examinations and will “strongly raise the students’ voice”.














