Kansas City Chiefs defensive back Melvin Smith Jr. spoke with reporters after practice on Monday at Missouri Western State University. He shared his mindset as he tries to make the 53-man roster and the lessons he learned from veterans last season.
"I picked it (playbook) up pretty well. It's my second year now, so learning under people like Trent (McDuffie), and now (L'Jarius) Sneed is back and stuff. So, I mean, it's still an opportunity to grow, but I mean, I'm picking up pretty good," said Smith. "Do whatever the team needs me to do. So, if I need to be a gunner on special teams, I'd do that. If I need to be a corner, I do that. My expectation, my goal, was to do whatever the team needed me to do. Honestly."
Smith signed with the Chiefs as
an undrafted free agent following the 2025 NFL draft. He was named to the practice squad last season and was eventually promoted to the active roster on December 24.
"Last year was a good learning year. You know what I mean? Coming in. Of course, like I said, the playbook and stuff. Having to learn the playbook, learn how things are run here," said Smith, "But I mean, last year to learn on the Trent (McDuffie) and guys like J-Watt (Jaylen Watson), Bryan Cook, it was really a big learning year and trying to soak in everything, be a sponge to them."
The former Southern Arkansas standout hopes for an opportunity to make the final roster in a crowded secondary. He contributed two tackles in the preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams.
This article originally appeared on Chiefs Wire: Melvin Smith Jr. shares his mindset trying to make the 53-man roster











