Arman Tsarukyan is a bit puzzled as to why he's not fighting Charles Oliveira.
Tsarukyan (23-3 MMA, 10-2 UFC), the No. 1 contender in the UFC lightweight division, was rumored to fight Oliveira at UFC 331 on Sept. 19 at Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles. Instead, the promotion revealed that Tsarukyan will meet rising contender Mauricio Ruffy.
Tsarukyan confirmed the rematch with Oliveira was far more than a rumor. It was the original plan for the co-main event of UFC 331.
"So, I was supposed to fight with Charles – co-main event, five rounds," Tsarukyan said Monday on the "The Ariel Helwani Show." "Then I went for my training camp, and then they, two weeks (later) when I was in the mountains, called me and said, 'We got a new name for you. It's Rufy.'
I said, 'OK, no problem,' because I don't want to pull out and wait for the Charles (rematch) because (it's) L.A., five rounds. You know, it's a big card, and I haven't fought in a long time, and I need this fight. So, and yeah, that's all."
Tsarukyan was told things changed after the death of UFC flyweight Allan Nascimento, who was Oliveira's friend and teammate. Tsarukyan isn't too sure that was the actual reason and believes Oliveira used it as an excuse to avoid fighting him, as Oliveira has continued training and was seen streaming on TikTok live.
"Charles' friend died, and he cannot train, but I don't understand," Tsarukyan said. "In three days or four days, he's doing live streams and, like, back in the camp, and they probably already set it up with Diego Lopes. He was just finding excuses, and now he just finds excuses. And I don't know, like everybody's different. Yeah, to lose somebody so hard, but you could beat me and dedicate this victory to your friend, but you never know. But, of course, like fight me or Diego Lopes, for sure he would pick Diego Lopes."
Tsarukyan hasn't received word from the UFC brass that Oliveira is, indeed, fighting Diego Lopes. That's just what he suspects is happening.
Tsarukyan's original booking with Oliveira was not for Oliveira's BMF title. It wasn't part of the deal. However, Tsarukyan thinks the UFC will book Oliveira vs. Lopes for the BMF title. Lopes, who fights at featherweight, posted a photo last week with UFC chief business officer Hunter Campbell and captioned it with a "#155," indicating his desired lightweight move.
This article originally appeared on MMA Junkie: Arman Tsarukyan questions why he's not fighting Charles Oliveira at UFC 331











