Matt Targett is expected to leave Newcastle United this summer, with multiple Premier League clubs monitoring his situation.
“Matt Targett’s loan move at Middlesbrough has been extended ahead of a summer move away from Newcastle United permanently,” Dominic Scurr of The Shields Gazette reported on May 7.
The defender has spent the season on loan at Middlesbrough, where he has been a regular contributor and is now involved in the Championship play-offs. Targett appeared in 42 of all 46 Championship matches,
contributing four goals and four assists.
His contract at Newcastle expires at the end of June, meaning he is set to become a free agent with the Magpies not interested—nor should they—in re-signing him.
On top of that, Targett already indicated that his time at the club seems to be over, acknowledging his impending exit earlier this season.
“I believe I’m done at Newcastle so that chapter is closed,” Targett said. “Hopefully we get promoted here and there will be a contract for me… but if not I’ll assess my options.”
Interest in the 30-year-old is already building ahead of the window, with a few EPL sides interested in the Magpies defender.
“The defender also has interest from Premier League clubs, with Leeds United and Everton named as interested,” the report said.
A return to Southampton, who finished fourth in the Championship this season and where Target started his pro career more than a decade ago, has also been mentioned as a possibility.











