Newcastle United’s midfield rebuild remains one of the biggest pieces of unfinished business at St. James’ Park, with Matthias Jaissle still looking for another major addition after the departures of Bruno Guimaraes and Sandro Tonali.
The Magpies have already tested Tottenham Hotspur’s resolve over Lucas Bergvall, seeing an opening offer worth around £46 million (€53.3 million) rejected last month. With another, improved bid expected soon, Newcastle now has a clearer idea of what it will take to get
the Sweden international to leave London and arrive in Tyneside.
According to Football Insider’s Pete O’Rourke, Tottenham is prepared to sanction Bergvall’s departure if Newcastle’s bid reaches the Spurs’ valuation of around £60 million (€69.5 million).
“They are believed to be holding out for close to £60m to part ways with the 20-year-old, so Newcastle know what they need to do to seal his signature this summer,” O’Rourke reported.
Bergvall’s own position, however, might work in Newcastle’s favor and end up with the player being moved for a slightly lower fee. Per Football Insider, the midfielder submitted a transfer request earlier this summer and remains interested in leaving Tottenham in search of more regular playing time following the arrivals of Tonali and Mateus Fernandes.
“I think there’ll be other clubs who’ll be looking at Bergvall as well,” O’Rourke said. “Newcastle are interested as they want to bolster their midfield. So it’s an open race right now for Bergvall, and it all depends on what price Tottenham are willing to accept because De Zerbi is not actively pushing him out the door, but I think if the right offer comes, it’s something that they will reluctantly agree to.”
Newcastle’s next move has been expected since the UEFA-related 45-day accounting window connected to Tonali’s transfer passed around Aug. 16. Football Insider previously reported that the Magpies intended to return with an improved bid after that point.
“Sources have revealed to Football Insider that Newcastle and Forest intend to submit new offers for Bergvall after they saw respective bids turned down earlier in the window,” the outlet reported on Aug. 14.
All of that said, The Athletic reported on Tuesday that Newcastle is still far from convinced paying the reported figures is a good move for the club, calling the potential transfer “unlikely.”
“Tottenham Hotspur’s Lucas Bergvall has also featured during discussions, but Newcastle baulked at the asking price and a move for the 20-year-old seems unlikely,” The Athletic reported. “Jaissle is likely to have his own prospective midfield names, too, who were not actively being floated before he was appointed.“
Would you go to £60 million for Bergvall, or is that too much for a 20-year-old who still needs guaranteed minutes? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
Join the conversation!
Sign up for a user account at Coming Home Newcastle and get:
- Create community posts on The Feed for everyone to read
- Comment on all articles and community posts
- Rec comments and community posts
- Enjoy a new, improved notifications system
- Fewer ads











