Newcastle United’s search for a new midfield centerpiece has produced no shortage of possibilities this summer, with Man City’s Nico Gonzalez emerging as a realistic option of late.
The Magpies have explored moves for the likes of Tottenham’s Lucas Bergvall, Brighton’s Carlos Baleba, Bayern’s Joao Palhinha, among many others, after losing both Bruno Guimaraes and Sandro Tonali.
Earlier this week, in a promising development given the source, The Athletic’s David Ornstein revealed that Newcastle had
opened talks over Gonzalez, while The Daily Mail’s Simon Jones subsequently confirmed that the club was “working on” a deal for the Spaniard.
On Thursday, Fabrizio Romano provided another encouraging update, reporting that Manchester City is willing to negotiate Gonzalez’s departure despite its own midfield undergoing significant changes this summer.
“On Nico, my understanding is that Manchester City are quite open to doing business with Newcastle United about Nico Gonzalez,” Romano said. “So, for Man City, despite being short in midfield, Man City are not closing doors to the exit of Nico Gonzalez. It has to be the right proposal, but Man City are not closing doors to Newcastle.”
That represents a potentially significant development for Newcastle. City paid €60 million (£52 million) to sign Gonzalez from Porto in January 2025, but Romano’s information suggests the Premier League club will at least entertain an offer rather than considering the 24-year-old unavailable.
The bigger obstacle could actually be convincing Gonzalez, who seems locked into building a career with the Cityzens and, for now, is not interested in leaving the club.
“The point here is what the player wants to do because, from what I’m told, the player is still convinced he can be an important player at Man City and he can give his best to Manchester City now with this midfield shape,” Romano said. “So at the moment, the (decision) is on the player’s side. City could be open to letting him go for the right money.”
Even with an unconvinced Gonzalez, the pieces seem to be beginning to fall into place for Newcastle. The Magpies are actively discussing a deal, City is “quite open” to negotiating, and the player would arrive with an obvious route to a major role in Matthias Jaissle’s rebuilt midfield, something that might prove hard in a Cityzens team featuring Elliot Anderson and Kovacic as their new starting midfield duo.
The question now is whether Newcastle can convince Gonzalez that St. James’ Park, rather than staying to fight for his place in Manchester, should be the next step in his career.
Would Gonzalez be your preferred midfield signing from the options Newcastle has been linked with this summer? Should Newcastle move on quickly to secure another player before the deadline, or keep working on this signing? Let us know in the comments section below!
Join the conversation!
Sign up for a user account at Coming Home Newcastle and get:
- Create community posts on The Feed for everyone to read
- Comment on all articles and community posts
- Rec comments and community posts
- Enjoy a new, improved notifications system
- Fewer ads











