Newcastle United could miss out on a move for a Chelsea youngster after the news of Xabi Alonso becoming their new manager emerged before the end of the season.
The Magpies, who previously tracked Chelsea defender John Acheampong as part of their long-term recruitment strategy, failed to secure his transfer last summer, and that might be the case again as Alonso seems to favor retaining him.
“Newcastle United have likely missed out on any chance to lure Chelsea youngster Josh Acheampong away from Stamford
Bridge,” Football Insider reported on May 17.
Newcastle considered a move to bring Josh Acheampong to St James’ Park before they eventually signed Malick Thiaw last summer. Still, with more reinforcements at the back needed for next season, they might have entertained relaunching their pursuit of the Blues right-back.
“Chelsea do not want to sell Acheampong this summer, with him under contract until 2029,” the report says. “Newcastle transfer chiefs will likely have to look elsewhere this summer, after the appointment of Xabi Alonso at Chelsea.”
The new manager is expected to favor keeping the 20-year-old as part of his plans.
“Acheampong… is a perfect fit for the Spaniard’s system,” the report says, with Alonso himself signaling his intentions after taking charge, saying, “From my conversations with the ownership group and sporting leadership, it is clear we share the same ambition. We want to build a team capable of competing consistently at the highest level and fighting for trophies.
“There is great talent in the squad and huge potential at this football club. Now the focus is on hard work, building the right culture and winning trophies.”
With Chelsea now planning around their new manager and Acheampong locked into Xabi Alonso’s squad, Newcastle’s chances of revisiting a deal for the young defender appear significantly diminished ahead of the summer window.











