The Dodgers pitching turnover the last two weeks has been quite heavy, continuing Monday with the signing of right-hander Jonathan Hernández to a major league deal ahead of their series against the San Diego Padres.
Hernández had a 4.80 ERA in 13 games for Triple-A Lehigh Valley with 22 strikeouts and five walks in 15 innings before opting out of his minor league contract with the Phillies and was released on Sunday. The 29-year-old has pitched parts of five years in the majors (2019-24) with the Texas
Rangers and Seattle Mariners, with a 4.29 ERA and 4.45 FIP in 127 career games and 153 innings, with 150 strikeouts and 81 walks.
Last year Hernández was on a minor league deal with the Tampa Bay Rays but did not pitch in the majors. He had a 2.25 ERA in 12 games and 12 innings for Triple-A Durham, but missed nearly five months on the minor league injured list.
Chayce McDermott was optioned to Triple-A Oklahoma City to make room on the active roster for Hernández. McDermott pitched the ninth inning of Sunday’s blowout win after getting called up earlier in the day to replace left-hander Charlie Barnes, who was called up Friday and pitched both days in which he was active.
To make 40-man roster room for Hernández, the Dodgers transferred Ben Casparius to the 60-day injured list. Casparius has been sidelined since April 13 with right shoulder inflammation, and this move ensures his earliest possible return date is June 12.
On the last homestand, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said Casparius was on a throwing program at Camelback Ranch in Arizona, but with no real timetable just yet.
“I don’t know when it is, but he’s on a longer timetable,” Roberts said on May 8. “Once he starts facing hitters and goes on a rehab, then it’ll be more of a conversation.”
Hernández has four years, 96 days of major league service time and his out of options, having used minor league options in 2018, 2019, and 2023 while with the Rangers. He will wear uniform number 29 with the Dodgers.








