The recruiting dead period continues, but Kyle Whittingham and the Michigan Wolverines are working hard behind the scenes to set up visits this spring and summer for their top targets in the 2027 class. So far so good, as they have locked in some unofficial visits, and in one case, an official visit.
Let’s dive into the latest news in today’s Recruiting Roundup.
Michigan a top option for recent SEC decommitment
After committing to the Georgia Bulldogs last June, 2027 three-star wide receiver Gavin Honore announced his decommitment last week. The 5-foot-10,
170-pounder from Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas has offers from all across the country, but following his decommitment, he already has two top options in mind.
“Going to try and think carefully with which school I end up committing to,” Honore told 247Sports’s Blair Angulo ($). “Really want to take my time and pick the best option for me.
“Michigan and Vanderbilt are up there right now.”
The Wolverines have an ace up their sleeve thanks to the preexisting relationship between Honore and new wide receivers coach Micah Simon, who was targeting him at Utah prior to taking the job at Michigan.
“With Michigan, I’ve had a relationship with coach Micah Simon when he was at Utah so I’m excited to continue building that,” Honore said. “He talked to me after he went over to join the new staff, and they’ve been talking about wanting to get me over to Michigan. I definitely plan on visiting in spring.”
Honore — who also runs track and field and ran a blazing 10.83 100-meter dash time at his first ever track meet last winter — is ranked No. 542 overall in the class, per 247Sports’ composite.
In-state OL hoping to visit this spring
He may have been offered by the previous coaching staff, but 2028 three-star offensive lineman Antijuan Wilkes still has a lot of interest in the Wolverines under the new regime.
The 6-foot-6, 280-pounder from Cass Tech in Detroit recently told On3’s McDowell ($) that he received a visit from the new coaching staff in January. And by “a visit,” that means the coaches visited the school even though they couldn’t directly speak with him due to NCAA rules forbidding coaches from contacting members of the junior class right now.
“Actually, I grew up loving Michigan, so that’s really one of the big keys, and really the coach,” Wilkes said.
Wilkes was in Ann Arbor for The Game in November and is hoping to return this spring. He also plans to visit Oregon, Texas A&M and Indiana in the near future.
“I haven’t seen everything yet, but I would want to see, the locker room, the weight room, how they get stronger, what’s the keys to success, all that type of stuff,” Wilkes said.
It’s very early, but Michigan is laying the foundation for him and other in-state prospects like Deandre Bidden, Donald Tabron and others in the 2028 cycle.
Quick Hitters
- 2027 four-star safety Isala Wily-Ava has locked in an official visit to Michigan for the weekend of June 19, according to On3’s McDowell ($). He will also be in Ann Arbor for the spring game on April 18.
- Michigan extended an offer to Cartae Ligon, a 2028 athlete from Chillicothe, Ohio who is 6-foot, 180 pounds. He has other offers from Oklahoma, Penn State, Miami, Indiana, Iowa and others.
- Finally, Michigan made the top-six list for 2027 three-star offensive lineman Mason Halliman.









