The Delhi High Court declined to grant immediate permission for wrestler Vinesh Phogat to enter the Asian Games selection trials on May 30-31, after the Wrestling Federation of India declared Phogat "ineligible". Justice Purushaindra Kumar Kaurav said the court would not pass such an order "without hearing the other side".
Instead of interim relief, the court allowed Phogat to submit a detailed response to the Wrestling Federation of India show cause notice, which alleged indiscipline and anti-doping rule violations. The judge instructed the federation to finish the show cause process and present its final decision to the court by July 6.
Vinesh Phogat Asian Games trials plea and Delhi High Court response
The court issued formal notice to the Wrestling Federation of India and the Union government on Phogat's challenge
to the "ineligibility order. Justice Kaurav said there were "competing interests" involved, and stressed that any decision had to balance Phogat's claims with national considerations and the Wrestling Federation of India policy currently under question.
Representing Vinesh Phogat, senior counsel urged that Phogat be allowed to wrestle in the Asian Games trials on May 30-31 despite the ineligibility order. Counsel argued that athletes returning from maternity breaks receive protection internationally, including retention of rankings and status, but the latest Wrestling Federation of India selection policy did not extend similar safeguards to Phogat.
Vinesh Phogat Asian Games trials dispute, show cause notice and court's observations
Justice Kaurav, responding to that plea, observed, "You have already been declared ineligible. How can we grant you that relief without hearing the other side. The (WFI) policy will have to be looked into. There are competing interests. Yes, we appreciate (that you were on a maternity break), but at the same time, national interest is there. "
The judge then added, "Therefore, let them file a reply. " The Delhi High Court granted two weeks to the Wrestling Federation of India and other respondents to file their responses to Phogat's petition. The matter was scheduled for detailed hearing on July 6, by which time the federation must complete its internal proceedings.
Vinesh Phogat Asian Games trials ban, Gonda event and Paris Olympics 2024 concerns
Phogat's lawyer questioned the timing and scope of the show cause notice, saying there was "something more than what meets the eye". The notice was served on May 9, a day before Phogat was stopped from competing at the National Open Ranking Tournament in Gonda on May 10-11, where Phogat still appeared in a defiant gesture.
The senior counsel told the court, "The show cause notice is issued to me on May 9. You raise issues of the Paris Olympics 2024. There is something more than what meets the eye," and requested that Phogat be expressly permitted to file a detailed and "comprehensive reply" addressing every allegation raised by the Wrestling Federation of India.
Vinesh Phogat Asian Games trials eligibility, WFI sanction and career background
Recording this request, the court stated, "The petitioner, therefore, is granted liberty to file a comprehensive reply to the said show cause notice. WFI, in the meantime, is directed to take the show cause notice to its logical conclusion before the next date of hearing. Decision, if any, be brought on record. "
The Wrestling Federation of India had already held Vinesh Phogat ineligible to compete in domestic events until June 26, 2026. The body cited anti-doping rules, which impose a mandatory six-month notice period on athletes wishing to return after officially retiring. That rule, the federation said, applied to Phogat's attempted comeback.
Key dates in the dispute involving Vinesh Phogat, the Wrestling Federation of India, and the Asian Games selection process are set out below.
| Date | Event |
|---|---|
| May 9, 2026 | Show cause notice issued to Vinesh Phogat |
| May 10-11, 2026 | Phogat barred from National Open Ranking Tournament in Gonda |
| May 30-31, 2026 | Asian Games selection trials scheduled |
| July 6, 2026 | Next Delhi High Court hearing; WFI decision due |
| June 26, 2026 | End date of WFI ineligibility order |
| August 2024 | Phogat disqualified from 50kg Olympic final for being 100 gm overweight |
Beyond the present Asian Games trials dispute, Vinesh Phogat has remained a prominent figure in Indian wrestling controversies. Phogat took part in the 2023 protest by women wrestlers against alleged sexual harassment by then Wrestling Federation of India president Brijbhushan Sharan Singh. In August 2024, Phogat was disqualified from the 50kg Olympic final after weighing 100 gm over the limit.
The Delhi High Court proceedings leave Vinesh Phogat's participation in the Asian Games trials uncertain, with the Wrestling Federation of India bar still active until June 26, 2026. The court has focused on due process, directing a reasoned Wrestling Federation of India decision on the show cause notice before deciding whether Phogat can resume competition under the current policy framework.
/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177911502467429614.webp)
/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177911505461639147.webp)
/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177911502702096818.webp)




/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177911506417066166.webp)
/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177911510177932782.webp)

