The Delhi High Court criticised the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) for declaring Vinesh Phogat ineligible for domestic competitions. The court also asked the Centre to set up an expert panel to assess Phogat.
The judges said the move raised questions, as Phogat seeks to return after a maternity break. The bench also wanted Phogat allowed into the Asian Games selection trials.
A bench of Chief Justice D K Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia said the WFI had moved away from past practice. The judges said the shift mattered when well-known athletes sought to compete again. The court also stressed that motherhood is respected in India. It warned the federation against acting out of vengeance in selection matters.
WFI eligibility decision on Vinesh Phogat faces High Court scrutiny
The court heard Phogat's appeal
against a single-judge order dated May 18. That earlier order denied immediate relief on Phogat's request. Phogat wanted permission to enter the Asian Games selection trials set for May 30-31. The WFI had already marked Phogat ineligible, which blocked entry into those trials.
Government counsel told the court that Sports Authority of India rules allow some relaxations. After that submission, the bench directed the Centre to form an expert panel. "Ask the experts to evaluate her chances.. Ensure that she participates,\" the court orally said. The court said it would hear the matter again at 2:30 pm. It wanted details on the proposed expert team.
Asian Games selection trials and WFI criteria questioned by the court
Phogat's senior counsel pressed for a chance to compete in the trials. The counsel pointed to a show-cause notice dated May 9. The notice came a day before Phogat competed in a domestic event in Gonda. The counsel argued the timing suggested an attempt to remove Phogat from competition. The counsel said someone was "clutching at straws to oust her".
The bench also reacted sharply to claims in the show-cause notice. It noted the notice referred to Phogat's Paris Olympics disqualification as a national shame. The court questioned why it should not assume the WFI altered selection rules for Phogat.
"She became a mother in July 2025. We are in May. She is a wrestler of international repute. Why cant it be presumed that you changed it selection criteria for her. Whatever may be the feud or dispute, why should the cause of sports suffer? Motherhood is celebrated in the country, should it come to the detriment of a person" the court orally remarked.
The bench also linked its concerns to changes in WFI circulars. "The change in circular says all. Dont conduct yourself like this. This is not in the best interest of sports. Deviation from the earlier circular speaks volumes," it added. The judges said earlier practice had allowed reputed athletes to participate. The court indicated the changed approach needed close examination.
WFI anti-doping rule basis and Vinesh Phogat's domestic event participation
The WFI said Phogat could not take part in domestic events until June 26, 2026. The federation cited a compulsory six-month notice period. It linked that period to athletes returning from retirement under anti-doping rules. Despite the ineligibility call, Phogat appeared at the National Open Ranking Tournament in Gonda. The episode became central to the court dispute.
Phogat had joined the 2023 protest led by women wrestlers. The protest targeted alleged sexual harassment by WFI's then-president Brijbhushan Sharan Singh. Phogat also faced a major setback in August 2024. Phogat was disqualified from the 50kg Olympic finals after weighing 100 gm over the limit. The court's next hearing was set to review the Centre's expert-panel plan.
With inputs from PTI
/images/ppid_a911dc6a-image-177928106831778342.webp)


/images/ppid_a911dc6a-image-17793301129013430.webp)



/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177928507977273061.webp)



