Portugal head to the World Cup with what Roberto Martinez calls a 27-plus-one squad, as the national team treats the late Liverpool forward Diogo Jota as a symbolic extra member while confirming a 27-player list for the tournament, where Portugal will meet DR Congo, Uzbekistan and Colombia in Group K.
Jota died in a car accident in northern Spain last July, aged 28, alongside brother Andre Silva. Jota made 49 appearances for Portugal and scored 14 goals, contributing to Nations League titles in 2018-19 and 2024-25, with the victory over Spain in the latter final standing as Jota’s final match for the Selecao.
Martinez explained that Jota is treated as a constant presence within the Portugal World Cup squad, even after the death. Martinez said
of Jota: "He is our strength, our joy. Losing Diogo was an unforgettable and very difficult moment, but the very next day it was up to all of us to fight for Diogo's dream and for the example he always set in our national team. Diogo Jota's spirit, strength and example are the plus one and will always be the plus one. "
The head coach confirmed that 27 players travel to the World Cup, but only 26 appear on the official squad list. Fourth-choice goalkeeper Ricardo Velho travels as cover and can be registered if one of the three listed goalkeepers suffers injury, while Martinez continues to refer to Jota as the extra, unregistered squad member.
| Portugal World Cup squad Group | Opponent |
|---|---|
| Group K | DR Congo |
| Group K | Uzbekistan |
| Group K | Colombia |
Os 𝟮𝟳+𝟭 que levam o 𝗦𝗼𝗻𝗵𝗼 𝗠𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗮𝗹 para as Amricas #VaiDarPortugal | @FIFAWorldCup pic.twitter.com/NXZY6EiuOYPortugal (@selecaoportugal) May 19, 2026
Martinez also addressed a notable name absent from the Portugal World Cup squad, Bournemouth’s emerging forward Junior Kroupi, who qualifies for Portugal, France and Ivory Coast. The Portugal coach contacted Kroupi earlier this year and again before the March training camp, after monitoring the Premier League performances.
Martinez detailed the talks over Kroupi’s international future and stressed that the player’s choice had to be respected. Martinez said: "Before the March training camp, we approached him [Kroupi]. But one thing is accompanying players who can wear the Portugal shirt, another is the player's willingness. And in this case, Junior wanted to represent France, so we respect that. "
Kroupi has scored 12 Premier League goals in the first season with Bournemouth, matching the record for a teenager’s debut Premier League campaign. Robbie Fowler in 1993-94 and Robbie Keane in 1999-00 also reached 12, leaving Kroupi two league matches to set a new mark while Portugal proceed with the chosen World Cup squad.











