Luigi Mangione's New York state murder trial in the 2024 killing of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson has been postponed after he pleaded guilty last week to federal charges and moved to have the state case dismissed, court records show.
Judge Gregory Carro issued a brief order on Aug. 17 giving Manhattan prosecutors until Oct. 9 to respond to a defense motion arguing that New York's double jeopardy law bars the state prosecution. Carro also scheduled Mangione's next court appearance for Dec. 10, postponing the trial that had been scheduled to begin Sept. 8.
Mangione's legal team filed the motion shortly after he admitted in federal court on Aug. 14 that he fatally shot Thompson outside a New York City hotel in December 2024. Mangione, 28, pleaded
guilty to two federal charges of stalking resulting in death, which carry a maximum sentence of life in prison.
His attorneys argued that the state's double jeopardy law protects him from being prosecuted and punished twice for the same conduct. State prosecutors have objected against the defense's claim.
The killing of Thompson, 50, drew national attention and was widely condemned by public officials. At the same time, the case became a flashpoint in wider public debate over frustrations with the U.S. health insurance industry.
'I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan'
Mangione entered his federal plea without a deal with federal prosecutors, and there is no guarantee that taking responsibility will result in any leniency at his U.S. sentencing. Jamie McDonald, the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, previously said his office will seek the maximum sentence of life in prison.
During his Aug. 14 plea hearing, Mangione admitted to ambushing Thompson outside a Manhattan hotel in December 2024 after planning the attack in advance. He also told the court that he 3D-printed a handgun and traveled to New York with the intention of shooting Thompson.
"I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan," Mangione told the judge during the hearing.
Federal prosecutors initially charged Mangione with murder through the use of a firearm and sought the death penalty. But earlier this year, a U.S. district judge dismissed the two most serious federal charges, removing the possibility of capital punishment.
Timeline of Luigi Mangione case
Thompson was fatally shot in the early morning on Dec. 4, 2024, outside a hotel where he was set to speak at an investment conference, according to authorities. The shooting prompted a massive law enforcement response and investigation.
Surveillance footage and forensic evidence linked the suspect to the scene, including DNA and ballistics found by investigators. Mangione was arrested five days later, on Dec. 9, 2024, in Altoona, Pennsylvania, after an employee and customers at a McDonald's restaurant recognized Mangione from images that were released by the New York Police Department, authorities said.
Police officials previously said they had matched the gun found in Mangione's possession to casings discovered outside the hotel where Thompson was fatally shot. Investigators also matched Mangione’s fingerprints to those found on a water bottle and a protein bar wrapper near the scene of the killing, according to officials.
In December 2024, Mangione pleaded not guilty to state murder, weapons and forgery charges brought by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg. He also faces charges in Pennsylvania.
If convicted in New York state court, Mangione faces a sentence of 25 years to life on the murder charge.
Contributing: Christopher Cann, N'dea Yancey-Bragg and Amethyst Martinez, USA TODAY Network; Reuters
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Luigi Mangione state murder trial postponed amid double jeopardy claim











