Two Phoenix police officers were placed on administrative leave after the department received reports that they failed to disclose the use of force or activate their body cameras during a traffic stop.
The officers conducted a traffic stop on Aug. 5 at around 11:30 p.m. in south Phoenix when both officers used some type of force, according to Phoenix police spokesperson Cmdr. Mercedes Fortune. Fortune didn't elaborate on the type or severity of force the officers used and did not name them.
"Although details remain limited at this early stage, we recognize the seriousness of any allegation involving potential criminal behavior by our personnel," Fortune said in an Aug. 17 statement. "Both officers were immediately placed on administrative leave
pending further investigation."
It's unclear when the officers were placed on leave. The Aug. 17 police statement said that "last week" the department became aware of "accusations from community members alleging criminal conduct by two officers."
The department's Special Operations Detail was conducting the criminal investigation into the incident, after which the Professional Standards Bureau would begin an administrative investigation as to what department policies the officers may have violated, Fortune said.
The department would release additional information as was became available, Fortune added.
This article originally appeared on Arizona Republic: Phoenix police open criminal investigation of officers in traffic stop












