Desiree Lynch has reversed her decision to withdraw from the Stockton City Council District 5 race and told the city clerk she intends to remain a candidate in the Nov. 3 general election, according to an email obtained by The Record on Aug. 18.
"After further consideration, I have decided to remain in the race for Stockton City Council District 5," Lynch wrote in an email to Deputy City Clerk Gabriel Searcy. "Please accept this as my formal decision."
Lynch’s decision comes four days after she publicly announced that she was withdrawing from the race, citing concerns about her safety, the safety of her family and her health.
Her name was already set to remain on the November ballot because, under the Elections Code, candidates cannot withdraw
from the general election after the primary election, according to Interim City Clerk Donald Larkin. Lynch’s decision leaves the District 5 contest unchanged on the ballot, with Villapudua and Lynch listed as the candidates.
Lynch finished second to incumbent Brando Villapudua in the June 2 primary election, receiving 1,054 votes, or 30.59%, compared with Villapudua’s 1,173 votes, or 34.04%.
Lynch’s initial withdrawal came amid weeks of public questions about her residency and a dispute over an apartment she listed as her residence on campaign paperwork.
Former Stockton Mayor Anthony Silva alleged that Lynch did not live in District 5, citing videos and a property record he shared publicly. Lynch and Vice Mayor Jason Lee, who endorsed her candidacy, accused Silva and former Vice Mayor Ralph White of unlawfully entering the apartment and recording the interior.
Lynch filed for a temporary restraining order against Silva and White on July 29. A hearing on the order to show cause is scheduled for Aug. 20 in San Joaquin County Superior Court.
The Stockton Police Department told The Record on July 29 that it was investigating the reported apartment entry after becoming aware of the matter on July 26. The department also said it does not investigate election fraud.
On Aug. 13, the police department said in a news release that it was aware of allegations of potential election fraud, including claims involving candidate residency and possible conspiracies to commit fraud.
Police said the department does not investigate election fraud but encouraged anyone with information to report it to Stockton Crime Stoppers. The department did not identify Lynch or any other candidates in the news release.
Before she announced her initial withdrawal, Lynch told Larkin in an Aug. 13 email that she currently resided in District 5 but planned to relocate outside the district because of safety concerns involving her and her daughter.
Lynch said she had been placed in a safe-haven housing program for her protection but had exhausted the time available through the program.
“Given these circumstances, I no longer feel safe remaining at my apartment,” Lynch wrote in the email.
Lynch had said in an Aug. 14 statement to The Record that withdrawing was “not an easy choice” but that she believed it was the right decision given her personal circumstances and the best interests of the community.
It was not immediately clear whether Lynch’s decision to remain in the race also changes her plans to relocate outside District 5.
Villapudua did not respond to a request for comment on Lynch’s initial withdrawal.
Record reporter Hannah Workman covers news in Stockton and San Joaquin County. She can be reached at hworkman@recordnet.com or on Twitter @byhannahworkman. Support local news, subscribe to The Stockton Record at https://www.recordnet.com/subscribenow.
This article originally appeared on The Record: Desiree Lynch reverses withdrawal from Stockton City Council District 5 race











