What is the story about?
The Supreme Court on Tuesday continued the judicial custody of two persons arrested in connection with the Noida workers’ protest after interacting with them in court during a hearing concerning allegations of custodial torture.
A bench of Justices B.V. Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan had earlier directed the State to physically produce the accused before the court. During the hearing, Additional Solicitor General K.M. Nataraj informed the bench that the two individuals were present before the court.
Justice Nagarathna observed that the matter had effectively been converted into a habeas corpus petition and said the court wanted to assess the physical condition of the accused and whether they were capable of travelling.
Senior Advocate Colin Gonsalves, appearing for the petitioners, alleged that the accused had been subjected to torture while in custody. He told the court that although the men had recovered physically over time and could be interrogated, they should not be remanded to police custody again. He also sought an independent investigation into the alleged police excesses and requested a CBI inquiry.
One of the accused told the court that he had been assaulted and forcibly taken to an unidentified location. He stated that he had been participating in a peaceful protest in Noida and identified himself as a software engineer.
Justice Bhuyan asked the accused whether there were any difficulties in jail, while the bench also questioned them regarding allegations of torture by the police.
The court, however, said it was satisfied with the physical presence of the accused persons and directed that judicial custody should continue pending further consideration of the matter.
Justice Bhuyan remarked that workers should not be treated in such a manner, to which the ASG responded that every human being must be treated with dignity.
The bench clarified that the pendency of the proceedings would not prevent the petitioners from seeking appropriate legal remedies in accordance with law.
A bench of Justices B.V. Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan had earlier directed the State to physically produce the accused before the court. During the hearing, Additional Solicitor General K.M. Nataraj informed the bench that the two individuals were present before the court.
Justice Nagarathna observed that the matter had effectively been converted into a habeas corpus petition and said the court wanted to assess the physical condition of the accused and whether they were capable of travelling.
Senior Advocate Colin Gonsalves, appearing for the petitioners, alleged that the accused had been subjected to torture while in custody. He told the court that although the men had recovered physically over time and could be interrogated, they should not be remanded to police custody again. He also sought an independent investigation into the alleged police excesses and requested a CBI inquiry.
One of the accused told the court that he had been assaulted and forcibly taken to an unidentified location. He stated that he had been participating in a peaceful protest in Noida and identified himself as a software engineer.
Justice Bhuyan asked the accused whether there were any difficulties in jail, while the bench also questioned them regarding allegations of torture by the police.
The court, however, said it was satisfied with the physical presence of the accused persons and directed that judicial custody should continue pending further consideration of the matter.
Justice Bhuyan remarked that workers should not be treated in such a manner, to which the ASG responded that every human being must be treated with dignity.
The bench clarified that the pendency of the proceedings would not prevent the petitioners from seeking appropriate legal remedies in accordance with law.














