Gurugram, May 16 (PTI) A major anti-encroachment campaign has been launched by the Nuh police and the administration here in view of the increasing number of road accidents on the Delhi-Mumbai-Vadodara Expressway, which runs through the Nuh district, officials said on Saturday.
The crackdown, which has been ongoing for the past two days, has resulted in demolition of over two dozen illegal eateries, hotels, puncture repair shops and temporary structures along the expressway, they added.
A senior police officer said the administration believes that because of these illegal constructions, drivers stop by the roadside, and illegal parking increases the risk of accidents.
The campaign started on Thursday in the Nuh Sadar police station area, and then
expanded to the Rojka Meo, Pinangwan, Nagina and Firozpur Jhirka police station areas. Locals tried to protest at several locations, but the administration, in the presence of a heavy police force, continued the action, he added.
“So far, more than two dozen illegal eateries and temporary structures have been removed. A special drive was launched in the Firozpur Jhirka area in the presence of the SDM, where challans were also issued to vehicles operating with concealed license plates on the expressway and other routes.
“Illegal parking and encroachments are major causes of accidents, so the administration is taking strict action,” a Nuh police spokesperson said.
Recently, five people, including four Uttar Pradesh police officers, were killed in a road accident on the Kundli-Manesar-Palwal Expressway.
Preliminary investigation identified illegal roadside parking as a major factor in the accident, according to police.
Following this, the administration has taken a strict stance against illegal eateries and encroachments on both expressways, police added. PTI COR PRK



/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177911757081953404.webp)
/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177911753128770668.webp)


/images/ppid_a911dc6a-image-177911722797071905.webp)



