Former Indian cricketer and chairman of the selection committee, Ajit Agarkar, has said that till now, he knows that Mohammed Shami is only allowed to play T20s, considering his fitness, and as a result, his name was not considered for the one-off Test and three-match ODI series against Afghanistan.
Despite Shami’s strong performances and the absence of the rested Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Siraj, the selectors opted to back fresh faces such as Gurnoor Brar and Prince Yadav for the one-off Test and three-match ODI series.
Shami last played for Team India during the 2025 Champions Trophy, marking his return after a lengthy injury layoff. But he wasn’t picked for the white-ball tour of Australia or India’s entire home season last year.
“As far as
we have been told, at this point, his body is allowing him to play T20s. I know he has played a domestic season this year. But the information that I have got is that at this point, it is T20s that he is sort of ready for,” Agarkar said while speaking at the press conference.
“So, there was no discussion regarding him,” Agarkar added.
Shami has expressed frustration over the lack of communication and clarity from the team management, while also dismissing suggestions that he is unfit.
“Let him (Agarkar) say whatever he wants. You have seen how I bowled. It’s all in front of your eyes,” Shami had said last year.
Mohammed Shami is featuring in IPL 2026, where he has taken 10 wickets in 12 games at an economy rate of 8.81. But his influence with the ball has always extended beyond raw numbers, both throughout his career and in this season of the IPL.
Notably, Shami missed out on LSG’s game against the Rajasthan Royals on Tuesday, although there was no clarity on why he missed out. He was replaced by Mohsin Khan.









