Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan on Wednesday chaired a high-level review meeting with Central security and intelligence agencies and directed authorities to remain on high alert ahead of the NEET-UG re-examination scheduled for June 21, amid continuing controversy over the alleged paper leak and circulation of misinformation online.
The minister also held a separate meeting with representatives of major social media platforms, including Meta, Google and Telegram, where concerns were raised over the spread of fake claims, propaganda and panic-inducing content linked to competitive examinations.
The meeting reviewed preparedness for the upcoming NEET-UG re-examination and focused on identifying vulnerabilities in advance to ensure “safe,
secure and fair” conduct of the test.
Senior officials from the Ministry of Education and the Director General of the National Testing Agency (NTA) were also present during the discussions.
Officials informed the minister that several Telegram channels and anonymous online groups become particularly active before major examinations and circulate fake paper leak claims, clickbait posts and unverified information that create anxiety among students and parents.
Intelligence agencies also flagged that many suspicious channels appeared to be operated through a limited set of phone numbers, indicating coordinated activity.
Taking serious note of the matter, Pradhan directed authorities to proactively identify and block such networks and ensure takedown of channels spreading “fake information, propaganda and panic” ahead of the examination.
The minister stressed that social media companies must coordinate closely with the Ministry of Education, the NTA and law enforcement agencies to curb misinformation quickly and maintain the integrity of the examination system.
He reiterated that protecting students from misleading narratives and maintaining public confidence remained a priority for the government.
RE-EXAM AFTER PAPER LEAK ROW
The NEET-UG 2026 examination, held on May 3, was cancelled by the NTA on May 12 following allegations of a coordinated paper leak.
The examination had been conducted across 551 cities in India and 14 cities abroad, involving over 22 lakh candidates and more than 5,400 centres.
As part of corrective measures announced after the controversy erupted, the Union Education Minister had earlier said that NEET-UG examinations would be conducted in computer-based test (CBT) mode from next year onwards.
The controversy has triggered nationwide protests by student organisations, especially the National Students’ Union of India (NSUI), which has intensified its campaign against the NTA and the Education Ministry.
NSUI STAGES PROTESTS, DEMANDS PRADHAN’S RESIGNATION
In Delhi, NSUI activists protested outside the NTA office in Okhla and held what they called a “Symbolic Shraddhanjali Sabha and Mundan Protest”.
The symbolic head-shaving protest, according to the organisation, represented the “pain, anger and frustration” of students affected by the controversy.
NSUI national president Vinod Jakhar alleged that the government’s “corruption and incompetence” had destroyed the future of millions of students and demanded the resignation of Pradhan along with the dissolution of the NTA.
The organisation also sought a fair investigation into the alleged leak and accountability for repeated examination failures.
Jakhar further claimed that the NTA had “lost all credibility” and said the agitation would continue nationwide until “justice is delivered to students”.
A similar protest march was organised in Jaipur, where NSUI workers and students marched from Gurjar Ki Thadi to Triveni Chouraha, demanding a ban on the NTA and stricter anti-paper leak laws.
Jakhar alleged that over 22 lakh students had been affected and accused the government of failing to take strict action against the “paper leak mafia”.
CBI PROBE CONTINUES, COURT SENDS ACCUSED TO JUDICIAL CUSTODY
Meanwhile, the CBI investigation into the alleged paper leak continued to widen.
A Delhi court on Wednesday sent five accused persons to judicial custody till June 2 while extending the CBI custody of another accused, Shubham Khairnar, by five days.
The agency told the court that Khairnar needed further interrogation to identify more accused persons, recover digital evidence and trace financial transactions connected to the alleged paper leak network.
The CBI also said it was attempting to uncover the larger conspiracy and the source of the leaked question paper.
According to the report, the CBI has so far arrested 10 accused in the case, including alleged kingpin Prahlad Vithalrao Kulkarni, biology lecturer Manisha Mandhare, who was part of the NTA paper-setting committee, and Renukai Career Centre founder Shivraj Motegaonkar.
The government has already handed over the investigation into the alleged “irregularities” to the CBI for a comprehensive probe.
/images/ppid_a911dc6a-image-177915409133845800.webp)

/images/ppid_a911dc6a-image-17791592287636658.webp)





/images/ppid_a911dc6a-image-177906566123517361.webp)


/images/ppid_a911dc6a-image-177910733347330965.webp)