US President Donald Trump on Tuesday claimed that drones would “bounce off” the roof of his new $400 million White House ballroom, as he showcased the construction site of the controversial project in Washington.
Speaking to reporters, Trump said the structure had been designed with strong security features and suggested it could even withstand aerial attacks.
“The entire roof is developed for military. They have a massive drone capacity. Not only is it drone-proof. If a drone hits it, it bounces off,” he said, adding that the building could also serve a defensive purpose and would be a suitable location for snipers.
“The entire roof is developed for military. They have a massive drone capacity. Not only is it drone-proof. If a drone hits it, it bounces
off”
Watch as President Trump speaks about his White House ballroom as it is being constructed https://t.co/BM5gWjRfXU
📺 Sky 501 pic.twitter.com/zeXuTe5ZFc
— Sky News (@SkyNews) May 19, 2026
Trump made the remarks while touring the construction site, with heavy building work continuing behind him. The billionaire former property developer appeared relaxed as he described the project, despite the noise of drilling, hammering and steelwork around him.
“This is a gift to the United States of America,” Trump said, standing near yellow safety railings above a large concrete basement area. “This is all my money and donors’ money. This is tax free.”
The ballroom, estimated at $400 million, has drawn criticism from opponents who say it is out of touch at a time when Americans are facing rising living costs. Democrats have also questioned a proposed $1 billion security-related spending package linked to the wider redevelopment plan, which they argue benefits the project indirectly.
Trump said the ballroom includes several underground levels, which he described as being designed for military use, research facilities and even a hospital. He said the structure would act as a protective “shield” for what lies beneath.
“The ballroom becomes a shield that will totally protect what’s going on downstairs,” he said.
The project’s cost has reportedly doubled from initial estimates, though Trump insists it is being funded entirely through private donations from supporters and corporations.
(With inputs from AFP)
/images/ppid_a911dc6a-image-177903882828094083.webp)



/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177906764797152021.webp)
/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177915508865427016.webp)



/images/ppid_59c68470-image-177908505434630201.webp)

